Continuing from “Part I: Creating a Profitable Free Magazines”, here is:
PART II: Creating a Successful Paid Digital Magazine
Maybe providing free digital magazines isn’t for you.
With Joomag, you can also monetize your publications by selling digital subscriptions and single issues. We’ll give you the tools to effectively market your paid magazines so you can profit from them and achieve success.
Below are some best practices on how to market your publication with Joomag!
Publish to the newsstand
Once you publish a digital magazine to the Joomag Newsstand, over 5 million monthly visitors will be able to find and read it. And if your magazine has mobile support, it will also appear on the Joomag Newsstand app.
To learn how to publish your publication, click here.
2. Use link sharing
Every publication created on Joomag’s platform has its own distribution link which can then be shared via email and social media platforms. Another nifty little feature we support is the Facebook mini-viewer. Your publication will pop up when you insert its link into your Facebook profile page!
3. Embed your digital magazine
You can effectively advertise your magazine on your website by embedding it directly onto the latter. Also, if you’ve set a price for a subscription or issue, your readers can purchase the publication directly from the magazine viewer. And it’s all thanks to the selling features built into our viewer. Here are some examples of how it works.
4. Optimize your magazine for search engines
Our SEO tool lets you optimize the visibility of your magazine on all major search engines, like Google. You decide which keywords and phrases from your publication will appear on these search engines. Read this guide to learn more about SEO and how to optimize your publication for search engines.
5. Print on demand
Let’s say you’re a web-based publisher. Though print circulation has been on the decline over the years and magazines are finding a more promising future online, it doesn’t mean that print is completely dead. A lot of people still want their hard copies. With Joomag, simply enable the printing option so your readers can order a print copy of your magazine right from the magazine viewer.
6. Manage your subscriptions and publications
It’s no secret that you can sell your magazines with Joomag. However, as your subscriber base grows, it’s important that you learn more about who your subscribers are and what they like. Every Joomag plan comes with the “Awesome CRM,” our easy-to-use subscriber management tool. It’s basically your right hand for gathering important information about your subscribers and magazines. Learn what readers liked most and least about your magazine so you can tweak your content. And the really cool part? No additional software or services are required.
Here are some more features from the Awesome CRM:
- Import/export subscribers to your Joomag account, organize them into custom lists, and add new subscribers any time.
- Choose “Send Issue” to send readers, advertisers, or colleagues complimentary subscriptions/issues alongside your publication. Joomag’s advanced delivery infrastructure ensures that any emails or complementary issues you send are not eaten by spam filters.
- Learn the delivery rates, bounce rates, and click rates of your email campaigns. Gaining insight into these statistics allows you to improve your future campaigns.
- Once readers subscribe to your publication, they’ll then appear on your subscriber list. You can use customizable subscriber forms and decide which fields, like phone numbers and addresses, will be required to fill out. That way you can get more detailed information about your subscribers.
- We provide you with pre-designed mailing templates that are easily customizable. Personalize them by including your magazine and creating your own messages. You can also code your own templates and engage in mass mailing campaigns.
What makes a Successful Magazine?
You’re probably noticing some overlapping themes here with what we discussed in Part I: Creating a Profitable Free Magazine. Magazines are turning towards a more digital future and away from the traditional newsstand. However, the digital magazine market is an entirely different one than print and you cannot use the same distribution strategies for both.
In this modern digital age, your magazine needs to utilize all possible distribution channels to increase its readership. Content should be readily available and discoverable by readers through mediums such as desktops, HTML 5 viewers, native apps, and social media streams. In general, viewers should be able to access the publication through their preferred channel. Ease of access and great content are requisites for a positive user experience and keep readers coming back for more.
Publications are evolving into the digital age and the market for digital publishing is constantly changing. The entire industry was founded to simplify the publishing process and improve user experiences. With new trends always emerging, we stay up-to-date to ensure your magazine is successful. Our team also works hard to provide you with the best tools and latest features so your publications can reach their full potential.
We hope you enjoyed this series! Follow our blog and stay tuned for more informational posts and feature updates. And if you’re already a Joomag publisher, feel free to like, share, and retweet your posts or submit a comment to us on our social media channels. We love hearing from you!