Joomag’s Search Engine Optimization Guide
What is SEO?
Good question! It stands for Search Engine Optimization and refers to all the different ways publishers increase their publication’s visibility on search engines, like Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
Basically, SEO makes your publication more attractive to search engines so people can find it more easily.
Here are a few good reasons why you should do search engine optimization for your digital content:
- SEO specializes in finding and ranking your publication higher than the millions of other magazines in response to a search query. If your SEO strategy is top-notch, your publication will be listed higher up and more people will find it. That’s more exposure for you, my friend.
- SEO takes into consideration the big picture. It’s not just good for your publication, but it can also benefit your name, brand, business, and keywords connected to your content by having them rank better in search results. That means more traffic for your content.
Have you tried Joomag’s search engine optimization tool yet? It’s pretty in-depth and lets you customize your SEO strategy. Below you’ll learn the different ways you can optimize your publications for search engines along with step-by-step instructions for doing so.
- Optimizing for Magazines
- Select your magazine → go to the “Magazine Settings” page by clicking the “Edit Settings“ icon → then go to the “Basic” tab.
- Add the “Title” of your magazine .
- Add a “Description” including your keywords (limited to 500 characters).
- Choose your magazine’s “Type,” “Category,” “Language,” and “Region.”
HERE’S THE “MAGAZINE SETTINGS” SCREEN:
Optimizing for Individual Issues (appears on search engine results pages)
- Go to issue “Settings” → “Issue Info.”
- Fill in the “Volume” field. The text here will appear in search engines as your issue title and as part of its URL.
- Add a “Description,” including your keywords (limited to 500 characters).
- Add your “Keywords” for SEO.
HERE’S THE “ISSUE INFO” SCREEN:
HERE’S A PIC OF A PUBLICATION’S ISSUE DESCRIPTION (CIRCLED):
Optimizing an Issue Page
If you upload a PDF file to Joomag’s platform, its text will be extracted automatically by our system. The extracted text is accessible by search engines and can be found under the “SEO” section of the particular issue.
HERE’S THE “SEO” SCREEN WITH SOME EXTRACTED TEXT:
Publishers can also check and optimize each page’s content for SEO by adding targeted keywords and HTML tags like <H1>, <H2>, etc.
You also have the option to exclude your issue from search engine indexing by checking the “Exclude this issue from Search Engines index” box.
If you create your magazine using Joomag’s HTML editor and want your content to be available for search engines, you should add the SEO optimized text to the SEO field.
Embeds and SEO
Search engines will always refer to your publication on joomag.com and not to embeds on your website. This is because the actual content (text, articles, images) is not included in the embed code and is always hosted on Joomag instead. To make Google and other search engines understand the content of an embedded Joomag publication, make sure to add meta data, descriptions, and tags on the page where it’s embedded.
NOTE: Unlisted publications are not shared with Google and other search engines.
Sharing on Social Media
Use the power of social media and share your digital publications through your social accounts. It will help you get noticed.
We understand the importance of social sharing when it comes to getting your awesome content out there. Check out all the sites you can use to do so:
Create some inbound links directed to your magazine, but do it fairly and from trustworthy websites. An inbound link is a link coming from another site to your publication.
Basically, the more inbound links you have from trustworthy and high authority sites, the higher up your publication can rank on search engine results pages.
Search engine optimization should be considered for every publication you create with Joomag. It can boost your content’s online exposure and give you the edge over your competition. So what are you waiting for? Get started with Joomag’s SEO tool now!
You can also check out our video tutorial on “How to Use Joomag’s SEO Tool.“