DID YOU KNOW that marketers still rate email as the most effective medium for content marketing? It’s quite the surprise considering the plethora of other popular channels such as social media, SEO, and websites/blogs.
Welcome to part 1 of “Joomag’s Guide to Email Marketing.” In it, we’ll dissect the anatomy of an effective email marketing campaign including how to build an email list, creating an all-star email, and using Joomag’s platform to launch your very own email campaign.
But first, here are some email marketing stats you need to know:
- 44% of email recipients made at least one purchase last year based on a promotional email. (com)
- Subject lines that are personalized are 22.2% more likely to be opened. (Adestra July 2012 Report)
- 72% of business-to-business buyers are most likely to share useful content through email. (Earnest Agency)
- Social sharing buttons matter! Emails that include them have 158% higher click-through rates. (GetResponse)
Pretty crazy, right? Reaching out to your email list can be the rocket fuel your marketing strategy needs to launch to new, unimaginable heights. So let’s start with the basics first; that is…
How to Build an Email List (in 4 Easy Ways)
If you haven’t started yet or if you’ve run out of ideas, here are some great ways to grow your email list:
1. Consider an online portal. You can ask people to sign up with their email addresses and offer them something free in return. Work with what you have and feel free to get creative here. As an example, you can give away a free copy of your digital magazine or eBook to someone who joins your email list. It’s a give-and-take model that encourages people to sign up for your list by giving them something valuable in exchange for doing so.
But remember, in the initial stages it’s best to ask for less information from potential subscribers (such as a first name and email address only). People will be more inclined to enter their info if you ask for a little of it. Contrarily, bombarding them with requests and asking for too much too soon will result in very low conversion rates.
2. All you have to do is ask. Ask your current email subscribers to share your emails. It’s an often overlooked tactic, even by established marketing professionals, but it can pay dividends for your promotional strategy. To get readers to do so, we recommend including simple share buttons or CTAs. You can link these buttons to social media sites since everybody’s on them, too. And if you’re looking to cover all your bases, you can even implement “Email to Colleague” and/or “Email to a Friend” buttons. Your goal here is to get your existing leads to do the marketing for you. You ask, they share your emails with their own contacts, and you grow. So don’t be shy and start asking!
We know—you’re probably wondering where the last 2 methods are. Don’t worry, we got you covered. They’re in Part 2 which is coming very soon. So stay tuned, keep on publishing with Joomag, and share your email marketing secrets with us. We won’t tell anyone– we promise!